Links
Archives
Mostly first draft poetry. Older poems that have been edited will also be posted and should have the dates written included on them. Comments welcome.
Friday, August 13, 2004
Work In Progress (Part 7)
.
.
I let that rock roll away
Ignored the crashing below
Standing alone on this summit
The only sound came from the wind, so hollow
Without light a journey had to be started
Without reason a purpose had to be found
How to find meaning when there is nothing?
Can a moment really contain a lifetime?
With eyes closed I saw what would come
With one point fixed in the past
The second fixed on this singular moment
The future became the third
An unchartable sea, a Cartesian plane
with no substance, no voice or song
Yet, with each venture life's prow finds
buoyancy in the moment awaking the past
There was no ego assuaging divination
No pots of gold awaited
Happiness still had to be discovered
And tragedy most certainly awaited
The simplicity of this vision staggered me
Its utter banality inspired a wry smile
Why the need to peer into darkened windows?
Why not just live, look, see, watch ... do?
But I did peer darkly into and onto what might be
I could not risk not looking at tomorrows contours
Though the air was clear, there was no singularity
Future moments merged and re-emerged endlessly
A perpetual fractal of proto-time and possibilities:
formless, pre-substantial, nonexistent animation
with the whispers and murmurings in timeless flow
revealing a topography of the past
Gazing over this endless nonexistent plain
I could see in gossamer wonder
the rise and fall of great and small
Oriental and Occidental
.
I let that rock roll away
Ignored the crashing below
Standing alone on this summit
The only sound came from the wind, so hollow
Without light a journey had to be started
Without reason a purpose had to be found
How to find meaning when there is nothing?
Can a moment really contain a lifetime?
With eyes closed I saw what would come
With one point fixed in the past
The second fixed on this singular moment
The future became the third
An unchartable sea, a Cartesian plane
with no substance, no voice or song
Yet, with each venture life's prow finds
buoyancy in the moment awaking the past
There was no ego assuaging divination
No pots of gold awaited
Happiness still had to be discovered
And tragedy most certainly awaited
The simplicity of this vision staggered me
Its utter banality inspired a wry smile
Why the need to peer into darkened windows?
Why not just live, look, see, watch ... do?
But I did peer darkly into and onto what might be
I could not risk not looking at tomorrows contours
Though the air was clear, there was no singularity
Future moments merged and re-emerged endlessly
A perpetual fractal of proto-time and possibilities:
formless, pre-substantial, nonexistent animation
with the whispers and murmurings in timeless flow
revealing a topography of the past
Gazing over this endless nonexistent plain
I could see in gossamer wonder
the rise and fall of great and small
Oriental and Occidental